If you've experienced an injury at work and are seeking worker's compensation to pay for your injuries, lost wages, or pain and suffering, you may need to schedule an appointment for a QME exam. Here, we'll explore some things to know about the QME exam process. If you need an exam from a qualified examiner, we at Premier Wellness Chiropractic in Pasadena, CA, are here to help with an exam and chiropractic treatment.
What Is a QME?
QME stands for qualified medical examiner. Healthcare professionals designated as QMEs are certified by the Division of Workers' Compensation Medical Unit, and are trusted to perform medical exams that will be used in court cases.
Many different types of healthcare providers can be certified as QMEs, including chiropractors.
Do You Need a QME Exam?
The short answer: it depends. If you've already been to a doctor and there are no qualms from either side about your injury or compensation package, you may not need to see a QME for an exam following your injury.
If you've been to the doctor and you or the people handling your case do not agree with the doctor's findings. Your attorney may also request a QME exam.
What Can a QME Exam Determine?
When you visit a healthcare provider for a QME exam, they'll work to address any issues had by either party with the first doctor's findings.
Your QME exam may address several factors, including:
- Whether you qualify for a permanent disability rating as a result of your injury
- Whether you've developed a disability as a result of your work injury, or if your disability existed before the injury occurred
- Whether your condition is permanent or treatable over time
- Whether you're able to perform your work duties the same way you did prior to the injury
- Whether you can continue to perform your job at the job site or if you need to work from home while you're recovering from your injury
- Whether you need injury treatment
- Whether your injury was caused by your work or happened prior to the reported incident
Get Chiropractic Treatment from a Chiropractor on Our Team
If you're looking for a QME provider, we at Premier Wellness Chiropractic in Pasadena, CA, are here to help. Our QME chiropractor can work with you to evaluate your condition and can help treat your condition following your QME exam. Reach out to us today to learn more about how we can support your recovery from your workplace injury. Call us at (626) 797-5800 for more information